Elkhart, Indiana is the perfect place to go on a relaxing and exciting getaway! You can do the many activities and see all the sites found in Downtown Elkhart or you can relax and rejuvenate in the Amish Country just a few miles away. The many gardens, scenic walkways and parks are beautiful to visit during autumn and even winter when you can cross country ski on the trails. Make sure to check out all these top attractions below when in Elhart:
- Ruthmere Museum: Take a tour of the historic properties including Albert R Beardsley’s house, listen to a music concert, attend a workshop, relax on the piazza, tour the gardens and view artwork.
- Ox Bow County Park: Located on the banks of the Elkhart River, Ox Bow Park many acres for outdoor fun and preservation of plant and wildlife habitat. At the park, you will find picnic areas, volleyball courts, playgrounds, a paved bike trail, an archery range, observation tower, canoe launch, an 18 hole disc golf course. During the winter months, cross country ski on the paved trails or sled down our the two hills.
- University of Notre Dame: Visit Notre Dame and cheer on the fighting Irish at a Football or Basketball game. Visit the Joyce Center Arena, the multi-purpose arena for a sporting event or a show!
- Amish Acres Historical Farm: Visit Indiana’s first Amish farmstead where you can relax, be entertained, and learn through tours, dinner theaters, horse and buggy rides, wine tasting, art museums and more.
- Downtown Elkhart– Downtown Elkhart offers something for everyone: art, recreation, dining, local pubs and brewery’s, historic homes and more. Here are a list of attractions found downtown:
- NIBCO Ice and Water Park: Cool off at the splash pad in the summer or go ice skating over the iced splash pad paths during the winter.
- Wellfield Gardens: This amazing garden has over 20 individual gardens filled with diverse plants including a Japanese Garden, Waterfall Garden, English Garden and an Adventure Path.
- RiverWalk Culture Trail– Walk along the RiverWalk in Downtown Elkhart while stopping to see all the sites. You will find many pubs, shops, restaurants, outdoor art, gardens, museums, waterside parks, events and activities along the trail.
- National New York Central Railroad Museum: Take a tour of this historic preservation site of both local and national railroads pertaining to the New York Central System.
- Lerner Theatre: A state of the art performance and event facility where you can watch world class performances.
- Midwest Museum of American Art– This art museum showcases the 19th and 20th century American Art, with original paintings by Grandma Moses and Norman Rockwell.
- RV/MH Hall of Fame: The RV Founders Hall displays trailers, photos, and memorabilia reaching back to the 1920’s and presenting advancements in technology of the RV/MH industry from before WWI to present day. You can also find a library entirely dedicated to recreational vehicles and manufactured housing industries that holds thousands of volumes of periodicals, records, and photos on the background of individual units.
- Hall of heroes Museum: Hall of Heroes is the only Super Hero and Comic Book Museum in the world covering 75 year history of Super heroes in Comics, toys, Film and Animation. You can also find replicas of many known landmarks in Super Hero Comics including the Bat Cave and the original Shield from Captain America.
- Linton’s Enchanted Gardens: This award-winning garden is Indiana’s largest Home and Garden Center, and the number one attraction according to TripAdvisor. Linton’s has a variety of beautiful display gardens of extremely rare and most unusual plants, trees and shrubs. Ride the Enchanted Gardens Express and visit the petting zoo featuring miniature animals and our exotic bird aviary while at Linton’s.
While in Elkhart, make sure to get the most out of your travel experience by staying at the affordable, pet friendly, and newly renovated, Red Roof Inn Elkhart. Save on your hotel while spending more on making your vacation memorable and one to never forget.
Safe travels and happy adventures!