Now I know there has been blog posts written before about Chicago, but it is just a fantastic city filled with so much to do! This city is definitely one that you just keep having to go back too as it is to hard to fit everything in with a 4-day road trip.
This Memorial Day, I had the opportunity of exploring Chicago for the second time. Here are the best attractions that I was able to hit this time:
- Red Roof PLUS+ Chicago-Willowbrook – We stayed a night at the upgraded and remodeled Red Roof PLUS+, just 19 miles away from downtown Chicago. The property offered renovated rooms, free Wifi, in-room coffee, a flat screen TV and more! It was definitely a great place to stay if you would rather stay in a very nice suburb area right outside of downtown. The drive into the city was not bad at all and the beds and pillows were super comfortable.
- Midwestern University – Just 4 miles away from the PLUS+ property. We had the opportunity of touring this beautiful campus.
- Giordano’s – Just 1 mile away from the PLUS+ property! When in Chicago, one must try the deep dish pizza. Giordano’s was absolutely delicious!
- Cloud Gate – When you are a tourist in Chicago, taking a picture at Cloud Gate (or
the Bean) is a must! This cool attraction is like a giant mirror that reflects all the buildings in Chicago.
- Millenium Park – After taking pictures at Cloud Gate, we walked Millennium Park. There was a free jazz concert going on at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion that we had the opportunity of listening too. The architecture, bridges, landscape design, statues and more were all so cool to walk through. The park also has a huge playground for kids, putt putt, tennis courts, a climbing wall and more. Just this unique park provided so much to do.
- Navy Pier – After Millennium Park, we made our way to Navy Pier. The boardwalk was filled with sail boats, pontoons and cruise boats. The cruise boats offered a bar in which you could spend your night on the water drinking and socializing with friends. The pier also has a famous ferris wheel where you can get the perfect view of downtown Chicago. The pier is also filled with great shops, dining options, other amusement rides, ice cream, a children’s museum and more! Walk to the ends and back so you don’t miss everything on the famous board walk.
- Shedd Aquarium – What a fantastic Aquarium! You get to see sea lions, beluga whales, penguins and best of all, there is a dolphin show! One of my favorite parts of my road trip for sure. The aquarium also hosts fish and reptiles from all over the world, including an Amazon River trail and more. Make sure to set some time aside for this aquarium as it is easy to spend a few hours here. The Aquarium is also in line with a bunch of museums including the Field Museum (where you can see the famous Sue – the most complete T-Rex skeleton) and the Adler Planetarium!
- Adler Planetarium – A cool museum filled with the history of space, all the planets and stars. Make sure to catch a show here at the Sky Theatre.
- The Beach – Right along lake shore where all the museums are found. Relax on the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan or swim in the cool waters.
- Chicago Dogs – This is another food staple of Chicago and definitely something I had to try. We had one right outside of the She’d Aquarium at a food stand and also at the famous restaurant Weiner Circle! This famous place is known for their surly staff and char dogs! Delicious and fun!
- Lincoln Park Zoo – This zoo is free to the public! Walk around and see the lions roar, the sea lions swim, camels, tigers, rhinos, giraffes, elephants and more! The zoo also offers fun events including Yoga at the Zoo and craft brew festivals!
- Wrigley Field – Go Cubs! Attend a baseball game this summer at this awesome stadium. If there is not a game while you are in town, they do offer tours throughout the day.
- Hamilton at the PrivateBank Theatre – Wow! This Broadway Musical is an absolute MUST! Just look up the introduction song, Alexander Hamilton, and you will be hooked. Fantastic play with fantastic, witty and catchy songs/raps. The theatre was also historic and a great setting for this hit play.
- Shake Shack – This big city famous burger and shake joint is a must and it is absolutely delicious! Located right across the street from Cloud Gate.
- Langunitas Brewing – Probably the coolest brewery i have every visited. You walk in to this huge factory like building and it is like a tunnel filled with neon paint and disco lights. This is what I call a grand entrance to an awesome brewery. Through the hallways that you walk, you can look into windows and see the bottling process etc. of how they make their beers. This brewery offers a great shop, tap room and delicious food. They are also known for their free, entertaining brewery tours, which are filled with tastings of their many different draft beers.
Don’t forget to visit Chicago this summer! Red Roof also has a property located right on the Magnificent Mile (Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown – Magnificent Mile), which is walking distance from all of these fantastic attractions. It is currently under renovation, but will be opening soon with all remodeled rooms to make your stay even better!
Safe travels and happy adventures.