We continue to celebrate our pets month, which now is extended through March. To celebrate, here are some fun dog facts:
1. Dogs chase their tails for many reasons: curiosity, exercise, anxiety, predatory instinct or, fleas! If your dog is chasing his tail excessively, talk with your vet.
2. Dalmatian puppies are pure white when they’re born and develop their spots as they grow older.
3. Dogs do dream! Dogs and humans have the same type of slow wave sleep (SWS) and rapid eye movement (REM). During the REM stage dogs can dream. Twitching and paw movements that happen during their sleep are signs that your pet is dreaming.
4. Dogs have 3 eyelids! An upper lid, a lower lid and a nictitating membrane or “haw,” which helps keep the eye moist and protected.
5. Dogs do see in color! It’s a myth that dogs only see in black and white. In fact, it’s believed that dogs see primarily in blue, greenish-yellow, yellow and various shades of gray.
6. Dogs’ sense of hearing is more than ten times more acute than a human’s.
7. The Beatles song “A day in the Life” has an extra high-pitched whistle, audible only to dog, causing some dogs to howl. It was recorded by Paul McCartney for the enjoyment of his Shetland Sheepdog.
8. The longest lived dog was a 29-year-old Australian Cattle dog named Bluey, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
9. If never spayed or neutered, a female dog, her mate, and their puppies could produce over 66,000 dogs in 6 years!
10. It has been established that people who own pets live longer, have less stress, and have fewer heart attacks.
Our team also has been continuing to use PetMD this month as well!
- “When we rescued our dog Bingo, we were shocked to find him on the heavy side of the scale. We discovered petMD and its thorough nutrition guides helped us plan a balanced diet that’s right for his age and breed. He’s already lost ten pounds—and hasn’t lost any tail wags!”
Safe travels, happy adventures and HAPPY PETS MONTH!