In celebration of Earth Day this Friday, here are some Eco Friendly tips to follow when you travel:
- Eat local. Find a farmer’s market or street stall and eat what the locals eat. The food will most likely be locally grown and sourced. You also get to support local communities and their needs.
- Ask when you check in that your sheets and towels not be changed every day.
- Limit energy use- Don’t forget to turn off the lights and air conditioner / heater when you leave the hotel room.
- Respect the local environment. Stay on trails and public footpaths; do not remove plants or feed animals; and never litter.
- Conserve water. Take showers rather than baths; use a refillable water container. Minimize your use of detergents to wash linen, and reuse your hotel towels and bed linen.
- Recycle and reduce. Recycle newspapers, magazines and your beverage containers and reduce the number of bags, napkins and disposable cups you use when you eat fast food.
- Choose environmentally friendly transport. Choose other ways to get around like taxis, trains, buses or rent bikes. Don’t forget your feet!
Safe Travels and Happy Adventures!
Sources: http://www.ryot.org/10-eco-friendly-travel-tips/201505 and http://wwf.panda.org/how_you_can_help/live_green/travel/on_vacation/