San Diego, California is a must-see city to visit during 2016! San Diego is a great vacation destination to kick off the new year because of their many attractions and fantastic beaches. As January is usually a cold month, San Diego will give you sun, waves, and smiles that will rejuvenate you and start you off to a great new year. Here are the top attractions and beaches to visit while in San Diego:
- Pacific Beach– Find surf shops, famous white sand beaches with crystal clear waters, piers, boardwalks, fantastic fishing, fresh/local dining, and nightlife at Pacific Beach , which offers the Crystal Pier.
- Ocean Beach– Ocean Beach has the longest pier in Southern California and Dog Beach where dogs run free!
- La Jolla Cove– A somewhat hidden gem with calm waters, caves and a breathtaking view- perfect for snorkeling, kayaking and diving!
- Bellmont Park/Mission Beach-Visit Belmont Park, San Diego’s beach front amusement park with free admission! Ride all the thrilling rides, enjoy dining, shopping, or relax in the sands of Mission Beach.
- Coronado Island/Beach–Coronado Island is consistently voted one of the best beaches in the US and is known for the San Diego- Coronado Bridge and the historic Hotel del Coronad. This small town has elegant gardens, old-world mansions, unique shops, dining and more.
- Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve & Beach– Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve and Beach remains one of the wildest stretches of land on Southern California coast with stunning overlooks and trails that lead to a beautiful beach.
- Harbor Cruises and Whale Watching– Enjoy the best sightseeing in San Diego Bay. Hornblower’s San Diego boat tours offer natural wildlife viewing and sightseeing of world-renowned landmarks. The Port of San Diego offers many restaurants, attractions, cruises and more. For the cruise schedule and list of attractions, click here.
- SeaWorld San Diego– If you’re a thrill seeker, kid, or animal lover – there’s something here for you! Enjoy rides, shows, attractions – and of course, their amazing animals.
- Golf– San Diego is filled with many great and breathtaking golf courses, some situated right on the coastal cliffs! Make sure to get a hole-in -one at Mission Bay Park & Golf Course, La Jolla Country Club , Torrey Pines Golf Course, and more!
- San Diego Theatres– Come see a concert, musical, or theatrical performance at the world class theatres; Balboa Theatre or the San Diego Civic Theatre.
- San Diego Zoo– Experience the Skyfari, animal encounters & 4-D theaters. Check out exhibits like the Australian outback where you can see and learn all about the koala.
- Birch Aquarium– Birch Aquarium is located on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean and features more than 60 habitats of fishes and invertebrates, both local and exotic. Don’t forget to explore their oceanographic interactive museum.
- Shopping– Enjoy all the best shopping that San Diego has to offer at the trendiest stores, malls and outdoor shopping centers. Must-see shopping centers include Fashion Valley Mall , Westfield UTC Mall, Mission Valley Mall, Horton Plaza, and more!
- Famous Small Towns and Quarters–Visit the following urban neighborhoods for their own distinct dining options, one-of-a-kind shops, history, art, culture, nightlife, events, live entertainment & more: Gaslamp Quarter , Old Town San Diego (the birthplace of California), Seaport Village or Little Italy.
- Museums and Monuments– Visit the USS Midway Museum for nearly 50 years of world history aboard the longest serving Navy aircraft carrier, the interactive Reuben H. Fleet Science Center and Planetarium (contains the world’s first IMAX Dome Theater, presenting the biggest films on the planet), San Diego Natural History Museum, San Diego Air and Space Museum, and the Old Point Loma Lighthouse and Cabrillo National Monument for history and beautiful overlooks where you can search for whales.
- Multipurpose Venues/Stadiums–Visit the following multipurpose venues for concerts, sporting events, family entertainment and more: Valley View Casino Center , Qualcomm Stadium, host to the NFL San Diego Chargers, San Diego State University Aztec football, the Holiday Bowl, the Poinsettia Bowl, Street Scene and more, or Petco Park, home to the San Diego Padres.
- Colleges and Universities– Visit a family member, your alma mater, catch a sporting event or explore the campus at University of California, San Diego, University of San Diego, California Western School of Law and San Diego State University.
- Dining– San Diego has a flavor all its own. With fresh fish and local produce, plus its proximity to Mexico, San Diego’s Cali-Baja cuisine, which is a blend of cooking techniques from both sides of the U.S.-Mexico border, reflects the heart and soul of the region. Click here for a list of great and local dining options.
- Military Bases– There are many military bases nearby, including MCRD, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, US Coast Guard Sector San Diego, Naval Base Point Loma, Naval Base San Diego, MCAS Miramar and Naval Amphibious Base Coronado.
- Convention Centers & Fairgrounds– San Diego Convention Center is at the heart of all the action in this vibrant urban city. Attend an event or plan your next one here. Here’s the calendar of events. The Del Mar Fairgrounds, home to the San Diego County Fair coming in June 2016. Plan your trip today!
- Balboa Park– The nations largest urban cultural park is filled with 15 major museums, beautiful gardens, renowned performing arts, attractions, events and more.
When planning a trip to San Diego, make sure to get the most out of your travel experience by saving and staying with budget-friendly and pet friendly Red Roof Inns. Choose from Red Roof Inn San Diego – Downtown or Red Roof Inn San Diego – Pacific Beach/SeaWorld Area. Both locations are 8 miles or less away from the San Diego International Airport. Plan your vacation today!
Safe travels and happy adventures!