Visit Charlottesville, Virginia, located along the foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains! Enjoy the great outdoors, explore the malls, dine in the finest restaurants or take a step back in time and visit historical residences of past presidents! Check out the top things to do around Charlottesville here:
- Explore the University of Virginia! This University was founded by Thomas Jefferson and is known as a research
university. When visiting the college, make sure to check out the baseball, football and basketball stadiums home to the Cavaliers: John Paul Jones Arena, Davenport Field and Scott Stadium. Also, don’t forget to check out the McCormic Observatory, operated by the Department of Astronomy, this astronomical observatory has a public night
on the first and 3rd Friday of the month. During the night, you can use the telescopes, view museum exhibits, watch audio visual presentations and take a tour. Nearby the University, make sure to walk The Corner. The Corner is 7-blocks of bars, restaurants, book stores and night spots on University Avenue.
- Looking for live music? Here are the top 3 places to go in Charlottesville:
- The Paramount: This historic theater shows movies, concerts, and theatrical performances.
- nTelos Wireless Pavilion: A premiere outdoor venue for live performances, just walking distance from Downtown Charlottesville.
- Jefferson Theater: Right in the historic Downtown Mall, this historic theater was opened in 1912 and today live performance that range from a variety of genres takes place including rock, reggae, metal, country and more.
- Great shopping, entertainment and dining can be found in the Historic Downtown Mall. Known as one
of the most vibrant urban centers in small-town America, this mall covers 8 blocks and hosts 120 shops and 30 restaurants including some art galleries, theaters, and an ice skating rink.
- Visit the Virginia Discovery Museum for some family fun! This children’s museum includes a variety of hands on, interactive exhibits that include arts, sciences, humanities, history and nature.
- Enjoy the great outdoors at Shenandoah National Park! Hike beautiful nature trails that encompass part of the Blue Ridge Mountains and view waterfalls, wild life, and nature. Not to mention this is a great place to hike during the fall season when you get to see all the leaves changing colors.
- Make sure to visit one of our past Presidents homes while in Charlottesville!
- Monticello: Tour the primary plantation and mountaintop house of Thomas Jefferson that was designed and built by him. Make sure to also hike the beautiful grounds around the plantation.
- Ash Lawn Highland: Tour the beautiful estate right against the Southwest Mountains of fifth President of the US, James Monroe. The house is filled with historical items of the president and portraits.
- James Madison Montpelier: Visit the home of President James Madison and wife/ First Lady, Dolly Madison- the place where the Constitution and Bill of Rights were conceived. Tour their beautiful garden, the historic buildings, exhibits and forest trails around the area.
When in Charlottesville, VA, get the most out of your travel experience by staying at an affordable and pet friendly Red Roof. Red Roof Inn Charlottesville is close to all the best attractions.
Safe travels and happy adventures!