Irondale is a beautiful city to visit and can be found nestled in the heart of Alabama on the eastern edge of Jefferson County. The city sits in a valley with the Red Mountains to the north and Cahaba or Shades Mountains to the south.
Irondale is famous for housing the headquarters of the Eternal World Television Network (EWTN) founded by the nun, Mother Angelica. Also, the popular movie, Fried Green Tomatoes was written by Irondale native, Fannie Flagg and based on the legendary, Irondale Café.
When in Irondale or nearby city Birmingham, here is a list of some popular attractions to visit:
- Southern Museum Of Flight: This museum dedicated to honoring the memorabilia from our earliest history of flight is one of the largest aviation museums in the Southeast. Within the museum you can find paintings, photos, engines, models, artifacts, as well as over 90 aircrafts. The museum is also home to the Alabama Aviation Hall of Fame, which presents over 65 biographical plaques representing Alabama aviation history through collective biography.
- Barber Motor Sports Park: This 740 acres multi-purpose racing facility has been the site of the IndyCar Series Grand Prix of Alabama since the 2010 season. It was built by George W. Barber, and includes the Barber Vintage Motorsport Museum.
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens: Visit Alabama’s largest living museum housing more than 12,000 different plants and the largest public horticulture library in the U.S. The Garden has more than 25 unique gardens, over 30 original outdoor sculptures and many miles of pathways, including a wildflower garden, two rose gardens, the Southern Living garden, and Japanese Gardens. Not to mention admission is free!
- The Alabama Sports Hall of Fame: This non-profit organization has over 5,000 sports artifacts dedicated to the celebration and preservation of Alabama’s excellent sports legacy.
- Birmingham Museum Of Art: Visit the Birmingham Museum of art, housing more than 24,000 paintings, sculptures, prints, drawings. Not to mention admission is free!
- Birmingham Zoo: See more than 950 animals of 230 species at the Birmingham Zoo, including sea lions, rhinos and endangered species from six continents.
- Talledega Super Speedway: Talladega Superspeedway is a motorsports complex and an exciting place to go with the family to watch the races.
- Oak Mountain State Park: Alabama’s largest state park with over 50 miles of trails across 9,940 acres of land. a beautiful place to stop and hike or bike around- The Red Trail is included on the International Mountain Biking Association’s(IMBA) list of EPIC rides. At the park you can also ski, rent boars, golf, swim, horseback ride and more.
While in Irondale, check out this list of local dining options:
- Irondale Café: The original Whistle Stop Café
- Hamburger Heaven
- Golden Rule BBQ of Irondale
- Hacienda Mexican Grill
When in Irondale, you should get the most out of your travel experience by staying at our newly opened property and budget friendly Red Roof Inn Birmingham East – Irondale!
Safe travels and happy adventures!