My favorite Christmas present I got this year was my new kitten named Louie. As a major animal lover, I have always wanted my very own pet and I finally have one! Louie is 3 months old and I absolutely love him! He loves to play and he especially loves to cuddle in my lap. I love knowing that if I ever have to travel, I can bring Louie along when I stay at Red Roof Inn with no extra charge!
Here are some fun facts about cats I got off of Cat Time:
- The average cat sleeps 16-18 hours per day. (No wonder Louie loves cuddling in my lap most of the day!)
- Most cats are lactose intolerant and should not be given cow’s milk.
- A male cat is called a “Tom” and a female cat is called a “Queen.” (Louie is a Tom.)
- Cats have more than 100 different vocal sounds. (Louie has a silent meow and a loud meow. He mostly wants food or attention when he meows.)
- Cats can run up to 30 miles per hour. (Louie runs this fast whenever there is a loud noise!)
- A cat can jump approximately seven times its height. (Right now, Louie can hardly jump up to my bed, but he is still growing!)
- A cat’s sense of smell is approximately 14 times greater than that of a human.
- Cats have five toes on each front paw, but only four toes on each back paw.
- Cats who fall five stories have a 90 percent survival rate.
- A cat’s whiskers aren’t just for show – they help cats detect objects and navigate in the dark, especially since cats cannot see in complete darkness, only at low light levels.
- Humans greet each other by shaking hands; cats greet one another by touching their noses together.
I hope everyone had a great Christmas just like I did and a great New Year’s! Make sure to follow the Red Roof dog, Mac, on twitter at @redroofmac.